Are you wanderlusting for a European getaway? How does being whisked away to the seaside village of Portofino, Italy sound?
That’s exactly where you’ll feel like you are when you arrive at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando. Staying here will feel as if you’re living the sweet life… or as they say in Italy, ‘la dolce vita.’
Here are some of my favorite things to do at the hotel that you definitely won’t want to miss.
1. Opera Singers on the Piazza
Every night around sunset (weather permitting), you’ll be able to hear the romantic sounds of our opera singers. One of my favorite ways to enjoy this beautiful music is with a cheese plate and small bottle of wine for two from Sal’s Market Deli, just below the balcony where the singers perform. It makes for a perfect date night.
What’s a trip to Italy without a delicious scoop of creamy gelato? I definitely can’t leave the hotel without enjoying a cup of pistachio gelato and taking in the view on the harbor! You can get yourself a cup of gelato from the Gelateria, which is next door to Starbucks on the Harbor Piazza. And if gelato isn’t your thing, there are also milkshakes, smoothies, pastries, coffee and espresso.
3. Mandara Spa
A spa day is definitely what you need after a long day in the theme parks! The name Mandara is Sanskrit and comes from an ancient legend about the gods’ quest to find the secret to eternal youth and beauty. I’d say that’s reason enough to indulge in a spa day.
4. Three Pools
Do you love a little variety in life? At Portofino Bay Hotel you don’t just have to settle for one pool. We have three amazing and unique pools to choose from. In fact, this hotel has the most pools of all of our on-site hotels at Universal Orlando Resort!
- The Beach Pool is our main pool and the perfect place for the family. This pool features a Roman aqueduct-themed water slide, a sandy beach, children’s pool, two hot tubs and plenty of games for all.
- If you like a bit more exclusivity, our Villa Pool is a beautiful, calm pool with private cabanas and upgraded lounge chairs.
- If you like even more seclusion, the Hillside Pool is definitely for you. The pool sits next to the hotel’s east wing and is a quiet place to relax by the water and perhaps catch up on that book you haven’t been able to finish.
5. Bocce Ball and Games by the Pool
I love some peace and quiet by the pool but I also love a little friendly competition. You can challenge your friends and family to a game of bocce ball next to our Villa Pool or battle them in a ping-pong tournament by the Beach Pool. You can even join one of our poolside activities like water balloon tosses, pool basketball, hula hoop contests and even arts and crafts. The poolside activities take place at the Beach Pool and change daily. Be sure to check out the pool activity board for all the details.
What is your favorite thing to do when you stay at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel? Share with us in the comments.
Must be 21 years and older with valid identification to purchase or drink alcoholic beverages.