EDITOR’S NOTE: The imagery shown throughout this blog post does not represent current operational and safety guidelines at Universal Orlando Resort. Please refer to our safety guidelines here.
When the Sorting Hat, in reference to the Ravenclaw house, proclaimed, “Where those of wit and learning will always find their kind,” I felt that.
Am I a Ravenclaw because my favorite color has always been blue? Or is it because my favorite character has always been the wonderfully eccentric Luna Lovegood? Or perhaps it’s my hunger for all things original and intellectual in nature?
I’m betting it’s a combination of all three and then some. Regardless, I am a proud Ravenclaw and sport my blue and bronze every chance I get. True to my house, I would simply never go somewhere without thinking it through first, and so my gift to my fellow Ravenclaws is this list of all my favorite things to do throughout The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort. I won’t even make you solve a riddle to get to this guide (though I imagine you’d kinda love that)!
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey | Hogsmeade in Islands of Adventure
Never have I ever balked at the chance to return to Hogwarts castle, and I’m betting my fellow Ravenclaws would agree. Walking up to the castle is simply a dream come true (for ANY witch or wizard, not just Ravenclaws, I’m sure!) and I get giddy approximately 100% of the time. Everything about Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is just icing on the cauldron cake. From the queue for the ride, with so many incredible details throughout Hogwarts castle to keep an eye out for, to the ride itself, which provides an excellent opportunity to soar about the castle grounds with some of our favorite school friends, this experience is an absolute blast.
Interactive Wand Experience | Hogsmeade in Islands of Adventure and Diagon Alley in Universal Studios Florida
Been practicing your wand skills lately? Of course you have! That’s Ravenclaw wisdom in your bones and you know practice makes exceptional. Put your skills to the test with the many different spots throughout both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley to cast spells. My personal favorite is casting an Alohomora outside of Tomes & Scrolls in Hogsmeade and opening the big copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard in the window. I know, shockingly, I’m a Ravenclaw who loves to use her magic to open books.
New to the interactive wand experience? We’ve got you covered with this guide.
Frog Choir | Hogsmeade in Islands of Adventure
I personally love all of the shows throughout both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, but the Frog Choir show in Hogsmeade holds a special place in my heart. With a representative from each of the four houses, accompanied by a froggy bass section, this acapella show will spark both house pride and school pride.
WHERE/WHAT TO SHOP
Growing up, one of the most exciting times of the year for me was that week before school started when I would stock up on a ton of new school supplies and clothes for the upcoming year. Not to be That Ravenclaw, but I absolutely loved laying out all my notebooks and pens and posing in my new outfits with my backpack. Thus, the combination of Dervish and Banges, where any good Ravenclaw can find their school robes and blue-and-bronze accessories, and Owl Post where the best notebooks and quills are found, is a dream. One store leads right into the other, so it’s really an ideal scenario to meet all your Ravenclaw gear and stationery needs.
FAVORITE ITEM: The Ravenclaw backpack. It is just a perfect fusion of style and book-holding-functionality.
You can also find Ravenclaw house gear at any of these locations…
- Dervish and Banges
- Madam Malkin’s Robes For All Occasions
- Filch’s Emporium For Confiscated Goods
- Quality Quidditch Supplies
- Wiseacre’s Wizarding Equipment
Ollivanders| Hogsmeade in Islands of Adventure and Diagon Alley in Universal Studios Florida
Having a wand in-hand while strolling through Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade is a game-changer of an experience that I cannot get enough of. Stop by Ollivanders yourself to peruse the selection of wands! You can choose to be paired with a unique wand of your own or pick up a character wand replica (I love my Luna Lovegood wand).
FUN FACT: Garrick Ollivander himself was a Ravenclaw, so you’re making our house proud just by shopping the Ollivander wand brand.
WHAT TO EAT
Three Broomsticks | Hogsmeade in Islands of Adventure
Staying sharp is a big deal to any self-respecting Ravenclaw, and so we know the value in fueling our brains with delicious food. The Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade is the perfect spot for witches and wizards to grab a delicious meal. Stop in this cozy location to satisfy your hunger needs. I’m a big fan of the Fish and Chips, but really you can’t go wrong!
PRO-TIP: Enjoy your Butterbeer out back for a B E A U T I F U L view of Hogwarts castle.
Drinks at Fountain of Fair Fortune| Diagon Alley in Universal Studios Florida
When you’re in Diagon Alley, be sure to stop by this homage to The Tales of Beedle the Bard fable and grab a cup of the delicious wizard’s-favorite, Butterbeer, or some exclusive Wizard’s Brew for those of age.
Sweet Treats | Hogsmeade in Islands of Adventure and Diagon Alley in Universal Studios Florida
- Chocolate Frogs – You’re telling me there’s a sweet treat that also involves collectible cards of all the famous witches and wizards throughout history, including Rowena Ravenclaw? OK, yeah, I’ll take five. (Found in Honeydukes or Sugarplum’s Sweetshop)
- Pretzel Wand – I love the utility of an edible wand, and I think you will, too. Plus it’s a pretzel covered in chocolate, so there really isn’t anything not to love here. (Found in Honeydukes or Sugarplum’s Sweetshop)
- Chocolate Chili/Salted Caramel Brownie Ice Cream -It’s a pretty specific order, but I would never steer you wrong. I recommend you stop by Florean Fortescue’s Ice-Cream Parlor in Diagon Alley and order one scoop of each of these. You’re going to love it. (Found in Florean Fortecue’s Ice-Cream Parlor)
Keep your perceptive eyes peeled in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley for all sorts of details fans of Harry Potter will appreciate. I’ve got a couple that I’ve always loved…
- There are a lot of interesting windows and shops to explore in both lands, but one of my favorites for those looking to expand their knowledge is the Museum of Muggle Curiosities in Diagon Alley.
- Sit on the steps of the Daily Prophet (either in solidarity with wordsmiths or in protest on behalf of the Lovegood family, your call).
- Swing by Magical Menagerie to find a Crumple-Horned Snorkack, one of Luna’s favorite creatures.
- When you’re walking through the castle you can see a portrait of Rowena Ravenclaw amongst the other house-founders. Plus you can pick up your very own Rowena Ravenclaw ornament in Honeydukes!
- Stop by the restrooms in Hogsmeade to hear the moaning of a familiar Ravenclaw gone-too-soon.
- In Dervish and Banges you can find a copy of The Quibbler, the wizarding world’s alternative voice.
You’re ready to explore The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Don’t forget you can stream all eight Harry Potter movies for free on Peacock this October to get yourself in the right state of mind for your magical visit!