My husband and I have this ongoing debate – “if you could eat one thing for the rest of your life, would you pick pizza or hamburgers?”
I hands-down, 100 percent always choose pizza. It is one of the most versatile meals you can make at home. Choose your dough (really, anything works as a pizza platform), sauce, and toppings, and you have a meal made just for you. Also (bonus!) it can be eaten at any time of day, which means there has been a lot of pizza consumption in our current stay-at-home life.
One of my favorite types of pizza is white pizza and this recipe from Sal’s Market Deli at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel for White & Green pizza is perfect. Instead of tomato sauce, cheese becomes the star along with some great salty and flavorful additions that make it a truly unique pizza pie to make at home.
Sal’s Market Deli White & Green Pizza
Your favorite store-bought or homemade dough will work.
White Ricotta Cheese Sauce:
1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup shredded parmesan and romano cheese
Caramelized white onions (These can be purchased pre-made from specialty food stores, or made by slowly sautéing sliced white onions with 1 tbsp of olive oil over low heat until they turn light caramel brown)
Crispy bacon, chopped
Sliced green olives
Black Pepper Vinaigrette:
2 tbsp. agave
2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
1/4 c. olive oil
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Make the ricotta cheese sauce by melting the butter with 2 tbsp.of extra virgin olive oil over low heat in a pan on the stovetop. Stir or whisk in the ricotta cheese and parmesan/romano cheese until fully incorporated and warmed through, remove from heat and put aside.
- Form your chosen pizza dough into pizza shape.
- Cover dough with desired amount of sauce, caramelized onions, sliced green olives, and bacon.
- Bake at 400°F until golden brown, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- While pizza is baking, make the black pepper vinaigrette by whisking together the agave, white wine vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper. (No whisk? Grab a glass jar or water bottle with a top and shake the ingredients together.)
- When baked through, remove the pizza from the oven and top with some baby arugula tossed in the black pepper vinaigrette before serving.