During my most recent Virtual Girls’ Night Happy Hour (can someone please go back in time and tell past-me this will become a common phrase in 2020?), we all sighed collectively reminiscing about our favorite parks memories and dreaming of what we’ll plan for our triumphant return. At the top of the list? A stay at Loews Sapphire Falls Resort at Universal Orlando.
There is a lot to love and appreciate about this hotel, but I personally can’t say enough good things about Strong Water Tavern. Educational and delicious rum tastings led by a pro, yummy tapa-style bites, incredible view and ambience, …heck, even the bar nuts are on another level. Until we can all be there together, I invite you to join me in whipping up one of Strong Water Tavern’s signature drinks, The Grog.
- 2 oz. aged rum
- 1 ½ oz. demerara sugar simple syrup and allspice dram (recipe below and for it you’ll need…)
- 1 cup of demerara sugar
- 1 cup of warm water
- 2 tbsp. of allspice berries
- 1 cup of aged rum
- ½ oz. lime juice
- ½ oz. lemon juice
- 1 lime wedge
- 1 orange
- 1 cinnamon stick
DEMERARA SUGAR SIMPLE SYRUP AND ALLSPICE DRAM DIRECTIONS:
- Dissolve 1 cup of demerara sugar in 1 cup of warm water.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Add 2 tbsp. of allspice berries and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain the syrup through a sieve.
- Add 1 cup of aged rum.
- Cool and hold at room temperature for up to one week.
THE GROG DIRECTIONS:
- In a mix tin, muddle the lime wedge and one wedge of the orange together.
- Add in the rum, the demerara sugar simple syrup and allspice dram, lime juice, and lemon juice.
- Cover with ice and shake vigorously.
- Strain into an old fashioned glass filled with ice. Garnish with an orange wheel and cinnamon stick.
*Must be 21 years and older with valid identification to purchase or drink alcoholic beverages.