With temperatures warming up and sunshine making a daily appearance as we get closer to summer, I think we could all use an at-home vacation experience right about now? Right?!
I am imagining something that evokes palm trees, warm wave pools, and soft sand underneath my toes …the exact experience my family enjoys when we visit Universal’s Volcano Bay.
Those tropical memories came flooding back when I baked and tasted this Chocolate Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Volcano Bay.
This recipe is pretty easy to master with a layer of sweet tropical fruit baked underneath a simple cake, then flipped over to reveal an eye-appealing classic treat with a chocolate twist.
It is the perfect virtual vacation solution for the entire family.
Chocolate Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Makes 12 mini cakes or one 9 x 13” cake
Baker’s Tip: Read the recipe thoroughly so you understand the steps, get all your ingredients prepped and “Mise en Place” (or fancy French for “putting in place”) before you start.
- 1/2 cup room temp butter
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
In an electric mixer using a paddle attachment, combine above ingredients, mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes until a coarse paste is formed, set aside.
CHOCOLATE CAKE INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (Or 1 cup of milk mixed with 1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar)
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- ¾ cup water
- 12 canned pineapple rings
- 12 maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Coat 12 three-inch round mini cake pans with non-stick baking spray. (If you don’t have mini cake pans, try using a large ramekin, a large non-stick muffin tin or making a 9×13 cake instead of individuals.)
- Place 1 pineapple ring in the bottom of each pan, OR arrange all 12 rings in your larger cake pan. Then place 1 cherry inside each pineapple ring and drop 1.5 tablespoon of coconut smear on top of each pineapple ring, using a teaspoon to spread the smear evenly.
- To make the cake, combine all dry ingredients, sift or whisk together and set aside.
- In an electric mixer using a whip attachment, combine eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla; mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add dry ingredients, mix on low speed for 1 minute, stop mixer, scrape sides of the bowl, mix for an additional 3 minutes on medium speed. Stop the mixer, scrape sides of the bowl, add water, mix on low speed for an additional 1 minute.
- Place mini cake pans evenly on a baking sheet
- Pour equal amounts of batter on top of each pineapple slice.
- For mini cakes, bake 350℉. for approximately 20 minutes or until the cake is set.
- For a 9×13 pan, bake 350℉. for approximately 40-45 minutes or until the cake is set.
Remove from oven and allow to cool approximately 20 minutes before removing cakes from their pan(s) and flipping onto a platter or plate.
When removing the cakes from their tins, make sure the pineapple slice is facing up.
Can be served warm or cold.
Can be served with fresh fruit, or fruit compote, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, or your favorite ice cream.