EDITOR’S NOTE: The imagery shown throughout this blog post does not represent current operational and safety guidelines at Universal Orlando Resort. Please refer to our safety guidelines here.
“HOLY SMOKES! How did they do that AND can I see it again?!” – Me, during my first time seeing The Bourne Stuntacular.
Walking in, I knew there was going to be all the action that the Bourne film franchise is so well known for and real stunts blended with cinema. What I didn’t expect was my eyesight tricking my mind in the most delightful way possible.
I know what you’re probably thinking – what does that even mean? Well, for example, in one of the first scenes that I saw, there was a group of performers on the stage…or so I thought. In reality, there were only a few performers physically on the stage, while the rest of the group was in the cinema on the screen. But for the first few minutes, I didn’t even realize the difference until a show producer pointed it out to me!
And that’s just one example.
But before I get ahead of myself, let me share the good news that you can now experience everything I did, and trust me, you need to see it to believe it.
You’ll Be Surrounded By Your Favorite Scenes AND Actual Props From The Bourne Films
As you walk into the queue of the attraction, one of the first things you will see are images of your favorite scenes from “The Bourne Identity,” “The Bourne Supremacy,” and “The Bourne Ultimatum.” My favorite scene is featured as a real prop from the films – the car from an iconic chase down several flights of stairs from the “The Bourne Identity.” You will also see Jason’s go-to form of transportation in “The Bourne Ultimatum” — his motorcycle.
Experience An Original Storyline That Takes Place Within The Bourne Universe
You’ll pass through security scanners into mission headquarters where you’ll be welcomed and briefed by my favorite character in the franchise, Nicky Parsons (Julia Stiles), Jason Bourne’s main confidant who helps him remember his past. Nicky, who can’t be in the field, will ask for your help tracking Bourne to ensure he does not get fooled by rogue double agents.
Then, as you enter the theater, you’ll join Jason Bourne as he travels across three continents and the cities of Tangier, Washington D.C. and Dubai, to uncover classified information all while trying to evade capture at every turn. Being a bit of a travel nut myself, I loved this part of the show, with Dubai being my personal favorite. I felt like I was really in the city and there’s even a chase scene through the desert!
Extreme Stunts = Extreme Action
Ya’ll, believe me when I say the stunts in this new show are next-level and here are a few reasons why:
- The principal stunt trainers have doubled for A-list celebrities in some of the most popular action films and TV shows of all time. They have been working closely with the cast to deliver stunts that rival what can be seen in blockbuster films.
- By the time the show opens, the performers and technicians will have trained and rehearsed for more than eight months to prepare and learn the intricate technical systems and maneuvers.
- Two high free-falls – one reaching 22 feet from atop a Dubai apartment building.
- There is as much action behind-the-curtain as there is on stage, with performers interacting with high-tech props beneath the stage on lifts, from the sides on automated traveling scenery like an apartment high-rise, and from overhead on a helicopter, a wrecking ball, ladders, and much more. It got to the point where I realized I kept turning my head in every direction just to keep up with the movements.
Without giving away too many spoilers, there is a scene where the character of Jason Bourne is being chased on a motorcycle when suddenly both the screen and Bourne go from normal speed to slow motion. At first I thought the performer was in the cinema of the show, but no…the live actor was holding himself up and moving in slow motion in a way that still gives me goosebumps.
Cutting-Edge Technology You Have to See to Believe
The Bourne Stuntacular features some of the most advanced technology of its kind, like automated vehicle-tracking-systems, pinpoint-accurate projection mapping, and more. Fun-facts about the tech:
- There is an immense LED screen measuring 3,640-square feet at 130-feet wide and 28-feet tall. This is code for one really, really, really BIG screen.
- Advanced projection mapping works seamlessly alongside the cinema of the show, projecting pin-point accurate images on top of moving scenes.
- One of the largest action show structures ever created for a Universal show – the car lift – sits beneath the stage and measures nearly 20 feet tall. The lift is capable of lifting and rotating two vehicles 280-degrees and raising and lowering each car independently from seven feet beneath the stage to above stage level. Putting this into perspective, when I watched the show the first time I had no idea there was anything beneath the stage, let alone two cars and a 20-foot wide structure that they operate on. All I saw were two cars suddenly racing, which left me wondering, “how did those get on stage?!”
You Won’t Just Watch The Action Unfold – You Will Feel It
Rounding out the experience are captivating practical effects that will make you feel like you’re right by Jason Bourne’s side through the use of fire, smoke, wind and more, including:
- Eight moving set-pieces ranging from a three-wheeled motorcycle, a tower in a Tangier marketplace, and the front entrance of a grand mansion.
- Gusts of wind as a helicopter travels overhead, the blast of a steam boiler, and several other explosions, including flames reaching a height of 20 feet.
Plus, our Entertainment and Creative Teams have been working hand-in-hand with the filmmakers and producers that worked on the Bourne film franchise to create an authentic and action-packed experience that will fully immerse you in the world of Bourne.
Let us know in the comments below what you’re most pumped to see. The chase is on!